Sunday, November 9, 2014

Joy Unspeakable

Joy: a state of happiness or felicity.

What brings you JOY??

JOY, to me, has always been one of those words that has felt pure and whole. It is something that symbolizes a pureness in life, and somehow it has so many other qualities wrapped up in it. Hope, love, faith, dreams. JOY is full of so many things, that it is absolutely impossible to contain!!

I have discovered the times in life when I am most happy are the times when I have been full of JOY. Hence, the reason I chose the title for this blog.

However, with naming a blog that has such a huge overarching and positive title is something too, that comes with it's challenges. 
But first, some back history...

In high school, I decided my mission in life was going to be to live every single day to its fullest. This was a big statement to make at the time, and my goal was to follow through with this.

A part of my AP Language & Composition class junior year, was to create a portfolio full of our writing that was symbolized through a theme that was found in our own lives. Of course, being someone who wanted to have a huge, cool, awe-inspiring over-arching theme, I chose "Living life to it's fullest". How on earth did I ever expect to follow through on this theme? I have no idea. But somehow, over the course of the six weeks spent working on this, I strategized some sort of formula that equated to this theme. I got so in to it, I spent the night before it was due creating that theme...(aka...my first all-nighter...)

What my theme turned out to be was things that brought me happiness, that I did to embrace everyday moments in life. There was a section dedicated to skiing, sections dedicated to times spent with family and friends, sections devoted to writing, faith, and music. They were sections and facets of myself, poured out over sections at a time. 
In the end, they were things that brought, and still bring, me true JOY in life.

Over the years since then, I have realized how hard it is to sometimes find that JOY in life. 
We let ourselves get busy with things that we commit to, and I don't think social media helps out too much. 
So my question is,

What brings you JOY in life?? 

I'm not trying to bring another Buzzfeed article about trying to rate your relationship, or present facts about how you should be living life differently. 
I'm wondering if you have found your true JOY in life??

What brings you true and utter happiness? What are the moments that looking back, you have no doubt how perfect that moment was?

I think we all deserve that true and utter JOY. That smile that can't be wiped away, and the moments that keep us going. 

I'm not saying every moment in life is going to be filled with JOY. If every moment were filled with JOY, I don't think we'd be able to recognize JOY when it came around. 
JOY is found even in the darkest of times. Sometimes JOY is the realization that you made it. Sometimes it is the realization of the strength it took to make it through the hard times. Sometimes JOY is the understanding that God has some good plans and all it takes is a little faith to believe in those plans...

One of my favorite parts of JOY is that it cannot be contained! And what's more, it Shouldn't be contained. 
JOY is different for everyone.  And that's the coolest part. JOY is found in the everyday moments. 

JOY is found in the love that is shared between people...

JOY is found in the accomplishment of a goal...

JOY is found in faith in God...

JOY is found in completion of a test, and no matter the score...you're done!!

JOY is found in the celebrations, the commencements, the gatherings of friends and family...

JOY is found in the morning, the evening, and everywhere in between...

JOY is found in the surprise visits, the spontaneous gifts, the random phone calls from friends...

JOY is found in the silly faces, the jokes, the laughs, and the ability to channel your inner-child even in the most stressful of days...

JOY is everywhere!! 

I feel fortunate, when I look back at life, to discover how much JOY has been present. Although it may not have seemed that way at times, I know it was there. 


My wish for you is that you would find what truly brings you JOY in life. Find what makes your soul truly happy. Find those little moments that bring you happiness. Those moments that have hope, faith, love, and happiness all wrapped in to one. Hold on to those moments, and don't be afraid to share them! Life is too short not to. :)


JOY :)


All the best, 
Caitlin :-)


"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
Romans 15:13



1 comment: